by Deva-Marie Beck, PhD, RN, DTM & Barbara Dossey, PhD, RN, AHN-BC, FAAN, HWNC-BC
DATELINE December 2020 — During the late days of the Nightingale Bicentenary & beyond….
College of Nursing at the University of Istanbul. The Flame of Florence Nightingale’s Legacy Prayer was first recited during such a ceremony at Nightingale’s own Scutari Barracks at a United Nations Conference in 1996.
Guys & St Thomas Hospital—the site where a Nightingale Nursing School was founded in 1871—a hospital that Nightingale, herself, helped to design. Details @ Commemorating the 200th International Nurses Week!
List of Image Credits—Used with Appreciative Attribution
1) ‘Lady with the Lamp’ https://www.florence.co.uk/posts/7-things-you-didn-t-know-about-florence-nightingale
2) Benjamin Jowett, 1854 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjamin_Jowett#/media/File:Benjamin_Jowett_by_Richmond.jpg
3) Folio Society Edition of Alice in Wonderland https://storgy.com/2019/11/27/the-folio-society-alice-in-wonderland-by-lewis-carroll-illustrated-by-charles-van-sandwyk/
4) Edison's Phonograph https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/93942342212802990
5) Lord Ripon https://www.indiatoday.in/education-today/gk-current-affairs/story/lord-ripon-the-viceroy-of-india-to-pass-the-factory-act-important-reforms-and-achievements-1374410-2018-10-24
6) Gandhi during the Boer War https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gandhi_Boer_War_1899.jpg
7) Queen Victoria & Prince Albert https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/200973202101360420/
8) Chicago World’s Fair https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World%27s_Columbian_Exposition
9) Nightingale’s Original Wedge Diagram https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Nightingale-mortality.jpg
10) Harriet Martineau https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harriet_Martineau
11) Villanova Stained Glass Window https://www1.villanova.edu/villanova/nursing/about/building/artwork.html
12) Nightingale Stamps https://www.nighvision.net/nightingale--friends.html
13) Health Determinants https://www.colleaga.org/article/what-are-determinants-health
14) Global Climate Change https://digitallylearn.com/global-warming-effects-acid-rain-greenhouse-ozone-depletion-deforestation/
15) Global Goals https://www.hiclipart.com/free-transparent-background-png-clipart-jrone
16) International Red Cross Flag https://en.delfi.lt/politics/lithuania-provides-eur-55-000-in-humanitarian-aid-to-ukraine.d?id=77542401
17) She Is Respected Across the Islamic World https://www.nighvision.net/nightingale-prayer1.html
18) Florence Nightingale: Mystic, Visionary, Healer https://www.nighvision.net/featured-publications.html
19) Florence Nightingale Window https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/234609461816052227/
20) 200th Nightingale Lights Up Parliament http://www.vimeo.com/417815342
Maria Theresa ‘Tess’ Panizales tells how "when I wrote this poem, my thoughts were on home care nurses. As I reflect on this today, it's about the NURSE — wherever you are."
Maria Theresa ‘Tess’ Panizales, DNP, RN, has 35 years of nursing experiences from academia, public health, hospital and healthcare corporate leadership and management roles. She has most recently served — prior to the COVID-19 outbreak — as a health care consultant for an international healthcare management firm based in Malta. She also volunteers internationally. Based on her latest work in Mongolia, she was awarded an Honorary Doctorate Degree — ‘Honoris Causa’ — in June of 2017. Tess has extensive research publication in peer-reviewed journals and has presented in various international and national conferences. She completed her Doctor in Nursing Practice as a Public Health Nurse Leader at the University of Massachusetts in Amherst.
Here's her poem's video version
Hands image credit from UN MUKT The Senior Hub
Full story "How a packed slum in Mumbai beat back the coronavirus, as cases in India continue to soar", can be found in The Washington Post by Niha Masih
How did Mumbai's sprawling slum of Dharavi draw praise from the World Health Organization in July for its "aggressive action" in containing the coronavirus while the rest of the country's cases continue to soar?
At the moment, India is third behind Brazil and the United States in confirmed coronavirus infections however, according to Bloomberg News, cases are climbing at the fastest rate in the world. Due to a combination of customized solutions, community involvement and perseverance, Dharavi has managed to escape in the midst of the crisis and the world should take notes.
The odds were staked against the slum, located in the epicentre of the country's cases and 99% of the city's ICU beds occupied by mid-June. Approximately 1 million people are packed inside Dharavi's one-square-mile area. The strict lockdown first imposed in March, left thousands of the slum's daily-wage residents on the verge of destitution. Conventional solutions such as social distancing and contact tracing became near impossible to enforce. So how did Dharavi earn its praise? Read the full article HERE.
The SDGs, COVID-19 and the Global South:
Insights from the Sustainable Development Report 2020
By Guillaume Lafortune, Finn Woelm, Grayson Fuller, and Alyson Marks
"Every year, the Sustainable Development Report (SDR) tracks the performance of all UN member states on the seventeen Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) – adopted in 2015 by world leaders. This article discusses progress made on the SDGs in Africa, Latin America, the Caribbean, and South Asia, as well as the likely short-term impacts of COVID-19 in these regions where reported daily cases and virus transmission are growing rapidly. It identifies five key measures that international cooperation efforts should urgently include to address the immediate consequences of the health and economic crises in vulnerable countries and population groups." Read the full article here.
Nurses call the world to universal healing & respect for human rights…
in this time of pain
“To love, to help one another, to act together,
to strive together, to work to the same end!”
Florence Nightingale, 1876
By: Debbie McElligott to her daughter, a critical care nurse
This prayer was written by Deborah McElligott, DNP, ANP-BC, AHN-BC, HWNC-BC, CDE, Center for Wellness & Integrative Medicine, Northwell Health, on Long Island in Manhaset, New York.
This prayer was written one sleepless night right before dawn. I am an NP and Integrative Nurse Coach, and nurse for over 47 years, who has been working safely at home during this crisis doing virtual programs with my clients and staff. My daughters are both nurses. One recently fractured her pelvis skiing, but the other, a CCU nurse for over 20 years is now experiencing her CCU as one of the many COVID vented units on Long Island, NY. I struggled with ways to support her, especially the feelings which surface the night before she returns to her 12-hour shift. This tearful reflection helped me as much as it may help others. It made me realize there is much I can do—even from a distance— with a powerful heartful connection and virtual hugs.
A forward-looking, unprecedented agenda for world health...
To learn more and download this in-depth Report — click here.
Highlighted here—to celebrate and participate in the 2020 Nightingale Bicentenary and 2020 Year of the Nurse & the Midwife—we are featuring “The Return of the Nightingale™”—created and designed by our good friends and nursing colleagues Jill L. Schumacher BSN, MS, BD, DNM, and Meredith A. McCord BSN, MS, BD, DNM.